• Why should I enroll with the Food Program?

    Answer: Participating with the Food Program is a win-win situation.

    • “Kids Win” because they’re eating nutritious meals and snacks in a safe, healthy environment.
    • “You Win” by receiving cash reimbursements for serving nutritious meals and snacks to the children in your care. You also receive nutrition education and program training to help you offer a quality day care program.
  • Can I be reimbursed for meals/snacks served on a picnic/field trip?

    Answer: Yes. Meals served to children on provider-supervised field trips/picnics may be reimbursed. You must call the office before you go for “pre-approval”. You and the office must document the following:

    • Date of field trip/picnic
    • Field trip/picnic destination
    • Time
    • Meal served (Breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner, ev. snack)
    • Meal components
    • How you will keep cold foods cold and hot foods hot
    • How you will ensure proper hand washing
  • How long is a reasonable amount of time to allow a child to eat?

    Answer: Give children enough time to enjoy their meal. Children must be allowed 15 minutes to eat a meal (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) and 10 minutes to eat a snack.

  • If a cold lunch is packed and sent with children for lunch at school, may I claim it for reimbursement?

    Answer: No. Meals must be served at the approved site (provider home) as part of the day care program. “Pre-approved” field trips/picnics are the only exception. Meals given to children to take to school or home are not reimbursable.

  • Can we ever serve ice cream, chips, etc?

    Answer: Non-creditable foods may be served as extra or “other” foods only after the required foods are served. Do not serve as a “reward” for eating other foods.

  • What about birthday treats brought by parents?

    Answer: Meals claimed for reimbursement must meet meal pattern requirements and the provider must supply at least one component to claim the meal. “Other” foods may be served, but not in place of required components. Birthday treats that do not meet any part of the required meal pattern should be served after the meal to help eliminate plate waste and provide examples of good eating habits that are desirable for children to develop.

  • Can I serve water as the beverage at snack time?

    Answer: Yes, water can be offered as a beverage if the snack contains the required two food groups. Throughout the day, including at meal times, water should be made available to children to drink upon their request.

  • When I serve cereal for breakfast does milk on the cereal count?

    Answer: Milk is important for children’s growth and development. You can count milk on the cereal if the correct amount is served.

  • How often can I serve dessert items such as “breakfast bars”, cookies, etc?

    Answer: Dessert items are not allowed as part of a reimbursable meal.

    Reimbursement for claims received in the office by the 2nd working day of the month will be mailed on the 1st working day of the following month or deposited to your account on the 2nd working day of the following month.

  • Must a young infant eat at only specified meal times?

    Answer: The meal pattern for infants states breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack, but that is only a guideline. Young babies may need to eat every 2 to 4 hours. Older babies may also need to eat more frequently than the specified times. When babies are hungry, feed them and record the meal that is close to your times on the FDCH Application.

  • How do I change my meal times?

    Answer: A “FDCH Application Change Form” must be completed, signed and dated with “new” meal times. Contact the office or your monitor for this form.

  • I claim using KidKare and need to change some information on the child enrollment form. How do I make changes?

    Answer: Log onto KidKare. Click on “List Children” icon OR click “Children” on the tool bar, then “Manage Children”. “Manage Child Information” screen will come up. In the upper right hand side of the screen, “select child”. A screen with the child’s information will appear. The lower left hand of the screen, click “Print”. Once you have printed the enrollment, write in all changes, have a parent initial the changes and sign the enrollment. Fax, email, or mail a copy of the enrollment to the office and AFC staff will make the changes.

  • When should I send in child enrollment forms?

    Answer: New child enrollment forms should be submitted to the office as soon as possible so they can be entered/approved by AFC staff. Forms should be in the office no later than the 2nd working day of the month or the children may be disallowed on your claim. Enrollment forms with changes should be submitted immediately. Remember these forms must be signed by a parent.

  • If I take time off and leave children in care with a substitute, may I still claim meals for reimbursement?

    Answer: Yes, if the following guidelines are met:

    • Care and meals are provided in your home.
    • Providers with a License or Residential Certificate must have the substitute “cleared” through the Utah Department of Health Child Care Licensing.

    Relative Care and Alternate Care Providers substitutes must have BCI clearance and listed with AFC.

    • Substitutes must be trained on Food Program rules and regulations.
    • A provider can leave a substitute with day care children no more than 20% of the time.
  • If I take time off and leave the children in care at someone else’s home, may I claim reimbursement if I furnish the food?

    Answer: No. All meals claimed for reimbursement must be prepared and served in your home, unless it is a “pre-approved” field trip/picnic.

  • What happens if I don’t have my paper work up to date when my monitor comes for a review?

    Answer: Unfortunately, if you haven’t kept your paper work up to date or entered you claim on-line, we are required by regulation to disallow those days that are not complete. This includes sign-in out sheets with a parent initial or signature daily.

  • When will I receive my Food Program reimbursement?

    Answer: You will receive your reimbursement by direct deposit.

    Reimbursement for claims received in the office by the 2nd working day of the month will be deposited to your account generally by the 2nd working day of the following month.

  • Website

  • Facebook

  • Link

  • Frequently Asked Questions | Alliance for Children

  • Question: Can I be reimbursed for meals/snacks served on a picnic/field trip? Answer: Yes. Meals served to children on provider-supervised field trips/picnics.